In Virginia, the following restrictions on abortion were in effect as of September 1, 2020:
- Health plans offered in the state’s health exchange under the Affordable Care Act can only cover abortion in cases of life endangerment, or in cases of rape or incest.
- Abortion is covered in insurance policies for public employees only in cases of life endangerment, rape, incest or fetal impairment.
- The parent of a minor must consent and be notified before an abortion is provided.
- Public funding is available for abortion only in cases of life endangerment, rape, incest or fetal impairment.
- An abortion during the third trimester may be performed only if the patient’s life or health is endangered.
Citation: “State Facts About Virginia”. Guttmacher Institute, 10 Sept. 2020, https://www.guttmacher.org/sites/default/files/factsheet/sfaa-va.pdf
|State Facts About Abortion: Virginia|
|Website title||Guttmacher Institute|
|Date accessed||October 22, 2020|
|Date published||September 10, 2020|
Additional source to look at in future: