- Society regards black people and people of color as “other”
- Constitution protected slavery without saying it outright
- Dred Scott vs Sandford
- Was the constitution intended to benefit nonwhite people? Who is included in “We the People”
- Can a Negro become a member of the political community and as such become entitled to the rights and immunities guaranteed by that instrument?
- Who are the beneficiaries of an organized political community?
- The court is essentially asking if black lives matter
- Dred Scott claims that black people were not considered as “people” in the constitution
- Jim Crow and Plessy v Ferguson
- Separate but equal
Charles, Guy-Uriel. “We the (White) People.” Emroch Lecture Series. 16 Sept. 2020, Richmond, University of Richmond.